Measures of success
|We value identity, culture and diversity in our libraries.
- Demonstrated knowledge and awareness of the diversity between and within urban, rural and remote Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities and cultures across Australia.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the issues which affect Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples historically and in contemporary Australian society.
- Celebration and recognition of culture and diversity in our organisations.
|We engage in respectful and inclusive partnerships and work practices.
- Application of cultural communication protocols by library staff when engaging with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
- Demonstration of cultural sensitivity and respect when assisting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander visitors with accessing collections.
- Meaningful involvement of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities or individuals wherever a programming or collection decision affects them (“nothing about us without us”).
- Knowledge-sharing between library staff to ensure positive, culturally respectful experiences for other staff and visitors.
|We demonstrate leadership, integrity, and accountability in the adoption and maintenance of culturally competent work practices.
- Meaningful and monitored integration of ATSILIRN Protocols into library and information management policy and practice.
- Alignment of institutional governance with collection management and collection access to ensure a culturally safe environment.
- Dedicated investment in strengthening organisational capability to respond to the needs of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities and staff.
|We foster culturally responsive library and information services.
- Active recruitment and support of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander employees.
- Library spaces for learning, creating, sharing and working acknowledged by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander staff and clients as culturally safe; reflected in the number of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander visitors.
- Provision of foundation, specialised and localised cultural competency training for all staff.