In response to the current and future challenges of digital preservation, the NSLA libraries agree to be guided by the following principles:
- Preserving digital content is intrinsically linked with enabling access to it
- Digital preservation practices must ensure confidence in the integrity and authenticity of digital collections
- Digital preservation must be effected in a timely manner
- Digital preservation practices must respect intellectual and copyright responsibilities
- Collaboration is necessary (at a national and international level) to research, develop and implement best practices in digital preservation.