This project identifies and shares best practice in library storage by:
- improving the ways in which collections are measured, housed and accessed
- finding solutions to persistent storage issues
- helping libraries plan for new collection storage facilities.
- Storage costing tool in development stages; for testing in June 2013.
- Comparison of storage management policy and practice underway.
- Supplier list compiled for information-sharing purposes.
- Survey-based paper completed on the future of storage management in NSLA libraries.
- Best practice guidelines for planning storage of physical collections.
- Revised terms of reference for the project group endorsed by NSLA.
Working group members
- Kylie Hawkins, National Library of Australia (project manager)
- Lawrence Salter, National Library of Australia (project manager)
- Antoinette Buchanan, Libraries ACT
- Richard Chester, State Library of New South Wales
- Maxine Furness, State Library of South Australia
- Ian Morrison, State Library of Tasmania
- Vanessa Ross, State Library of Victoria
- Cath Thomson, State Library of New South Wales
- Helen Thurlow, State Library of Queensland
- Toni Young, State Library of Western Australia
Image: newspaper stacks, National Library of Australia
Lawrie Salter and Kylie Hawkins, from the National Library of Australia, are the project managers for the NSLA Storage Management Working Group.
Vanessa Ross, Storage Coordinator at the State Library of Victoria, tells us about the storage challenges facing libraries today, and in the future.
Discussion paper from the NSLA Storage Management Group on current and future issues in storage planning for NSLA libraries.