The Maps project investigated the collection, digitisation and preservation practices for maps in NSLA libraries. The project collected baseline data concerning digital and physical maps and and made a series of recommendations to improve access and cataloguing practices.
- Investigation of shared pilot project for Georeferencer and Map Rank software with Klokan Technologies
- Establishment of series mapping workshop available to all NSLA libraries
- Communication with government agencies and peak bodies regarding collection and preservation of digital maps
- Shared documentation regarding maps resources for family history, cataloguing spreadsheets and guidelines for volunteers
- Mapping our Collections - a major survey, workshop and report regarding map collections and associated workflows in NSLA libraries (2012)
Image: Map of the City of Sydney c.1927 by State Records NSW. Licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic (CC BY 2.0).
Maggie Patton of the State Library of New South Wales and Martin Woods of the National Library of Australia talk about the challenges of developing and managing map collections.