The Maps project is investigating the collection, digitisation and preservation practices for maps in NSLA libraries. The project is collecting baseline data concerning digital and physical maps and will make recommendations to improve access and practices.
- Identification and scoping of future work for the group involving statistics collection, series mapping, storage and geo-reference software.
- Major report to NSLA in November 2012.
- Survey of collections and practice completed by all NSLA Libraries in July/August 2012.
- Workshop to consider preliminary analysis of survey results held in late August.
Working group members
- Maggie Patton, State Library of New South Wales (project manager)
- Martin Woods, National Library of Australia (project manager)
- Antoinette Buchanan, Libraries ACT
- Des Cowley, State Library of Victoria
- Merridy Lawlor, State Library of South Australia
- Sharon Nolan, State Library of Queensland
- Louise Paynter, Northern Territory Library
- Jo Roberts, State Library of Western Australia
- Shay Turnbull, National Library of New Zealand
- John Sullivan, National Library of New Zealand
- Sue Webster, State Library of Tasmania
Image: Map of the City of Sydney c.1927 by State Records NSW. Licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic (CC BY 2.0).
Maggie Patton of the State Library of New South Wales and Martin Woods of the National Library of Australia talk about the challenges of developing and managing map collections.